Matthew Pirc (b. 1990) is an award winning Tucson area freelance drummer, composer, and private instructor. In his freelance career, Pirc has been called to perform with star artists such as Orbert Davis, Jason Carter, Bobby Shew, David Bryan, Chris Potter, and Brice Winston. His collaborations have released six albums, been featured in Oro Valley Jazz Festivals as well as KXCI radio program "Locals Only", and have been interviewed by The Tucson Weekly, The Explorer, and The Arizona Daily Star in addition to making several television performances. Currently, Pirc spends his time primarily focused on teaching piano and drumset, continuing to perform as sideman, and leading and composing for his own modern jazz group, the Matt Pirc Quintet.
The Program will feature a wide variety of Pirc’s own arrangements which span styles from Gershwin to Radiohead, full alphabetical listing below. Artists collaborating on the program include Collin Shook (Piano), Jack Wood (Bass), Ben Seims (Guitar), Michael Moynihan (Saxophone), Christopher Billings (Percussion), Michael Weiss (Saxophone), and Dylan Carpenter (Trombone). The event is free to attend and will be held in UA’s Crowder Hall on January 27th, beginning at 7:30 pm MST.
• Bill’s Hit Tune; Bill Evans (Arr. Pirc)
• Body & Soul; Johnny Green (Arr. Pirc)
• Came to Change; Matthew Pirc, Ben Seims
• If I Were a Bell; Frank Loesser (Arr. Pirc)
• In Retrospect; Matthew Pirc
• Karma Police; Radiohead (Arr. DeRobertis, Pirc, Shook)
• Life Line; Chick Corea
• Someone to Watch Over Me; George Gershwin (Arr.Pirc)
• Superstition; Stevie Wonder (Arr. Zenon)
• Time Remembered; Bill Evans (Arr. Pirc)
• When God Created the Coffee Break; Esbjorn Svensson